Sunday, November 11, 2007

HDR


High dynamic range

The above image was made from 3 different images at 2 EV spacing. One was 2 stops underexposed, one 2 stops over and one in the middle. Each image has it's own dynamic range of brightness values that it can cover. To make the HDR image these three overalapping ranges are combined to create an image that covers all of them at once. Hence the sunset AND the town can be properly exposed simultaneously.

Another way to do it is just take an over-exposed RAW image, back the exposure off in photoshop and increase the gamma (midrange brightness) with fill light. RAW images have more color and dynamic range information then can actually be displayed on the screen. This technique just displays more of it then usual. This doesn't cover as large of a dynamic range as the previous technique, but I think it looks better. What do you think?



(edited on monday to include more info and another images)

5 comments:

Rob & Sarah said...

The artifical lights look funky, what's up with that? Some of them look like rings of light around black spots.

Unknown said...

It is funky. the program tries to replace the super bright spots with the info from darker images. In this case the darker images had black there since the cars were moving. I just need to spend a couple hours doing things manually and I'll be set. . .

Rob & Sarah said...

The sky looks better in the RAW image, but I like the exposure of the town and the foreground in the HDR image.

jesse parker said...

I like the HDR better, it shows the mist around the town a bit better. Assuming there is supposed to be mist. There is some weirdness though, so I'd say the RAW is best if you don't want to spend half an hour in PS fixing the HDR.. I'd try double exposing the RAW and putting them together in PS, might look good as well.

jesse parker said...

I think that was the longest comment I've ever written in the least amount of time..

I like coffee..